Sparkman & Stephens 52
Tax Paid, Australia
Sparkman & Stephens
1983 Sparkman & Stephens 52 | Serenity III
Serenity III is a 52’ Sparkman and Stephens design, built by Eric Goetze in New York to the IOR rating system. Launched as Golden Eagle in 1983, Serenity III has undergone a complete refurbishment in 2020.
Serenity III was a well-respected racing yacht on the USA’s east coast, rarely finishing below a third. She competed in Cowes week and the Fastnet race in the UK in 1993 achieving a respectable 5th place in these prestigious regattas. Her owners then sailed the Atlantic and Pacific Ocean to arrive in Australia in the mid 90’s where she has participated in numerous Hamilton Island Race Weeks and in the ‘97 Sydney to Hobart.
The two cabin/two-head yacht was constructed with cold-moulded cedar over Nomex core, mahogany structural timber and Bird’s Eye maple interior.
Her owner is a highly respected shipwright on Australia’s Gold Coast. He was keen to maintain the classic IOR lines but with modern features to create a classic, fast and comfortable cruising yacht.
Some of the recent works include:
- Full fairing, high built and re-spray of hull side using Awlcraft 2000, off-white.
- Sanding, fairing, epoxy coat x 2 and antifoul of underwater hull.
- Removed all deck hardware, complete re-glassing of deck w/biaxial glass and epoxy.
- Full fairing of deck, high built epoxy and re-spray using Awlcraft 2000.
- New non-skid using Awlgrip and beads.
- Re-condition/re-spray all deck hardware, hatches/portlight. Service winches.
- Upgrade 2 x primary winches to 2-speed electric.
- Lift centre part of the deck to allow halyards and trim lines to go under deck from mast to aft cockpit.
- Mast sand blasted, etch primer and high built epoxy before re-sprayed with Awlcraft 2000.
- New standing wire rigging, new running rigging including Dynema runners and halyards.
- New stainless stations, pull- and push pit.
- New Rocna 33 kg anchor w/80meter 12mm chain.
- New insulated icebox and storage locker in aft cockpit.
- New tiltable stainless davit for dinghy and 2 x 400W solar panels. Removable transom teak steps to new fold up duckboard.
- New teak deck in both cockpits, new teak toe rail.
- New stowable folding teak dining table in aft cockpit.
- New bimini and dodger.
- New North Sails furling genoa (2022)
- New headliner panels w/foam backed vinyl
- New foam backed vinyl on walls
- New upholstery and mattresses.
- Restoration of original Bird’s Eye maple dining table, cabin doors and teak/holly floor
- New locker frames and doors in birds eye maple, new steel drawer runners.
- New 4-burner gas stove and cook top, remote shut-off valve, gas detector.
- New fridge and split system freezer/icebox.
- Completely new 12 and 240V electrical system. Solar regulator, 3000W inverter/charger.
- Telstra repeater in mast top.
- Smart charger electronics on alternator.
- New LED down lights, 12V fans x 4
- Full B&G electronics including 2 x 7” plotters, autopilot, forward facing sonar, VHF radio w/AIS, Fusion stereo, TV.
- New Stella water maker, 80ltr/hour
- Completely new plumbing system. New 40ltr hot water system.
- Electric toilets x 2, new 60ltr black water holding tanks, gravity fed discharge.
- New bilge pumps x 2
Down below, the interior boasts a modern layout with excellent headroom and all the comforts of a modern production yacht. The added bonus of a well-appointed owner’s aft cabin with its own ensuite allows for many cruising possibilities to accommodate crew and family alike.
Contact the team to arrange an inspection.